Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Not Your Ordinary Girl: Part 1 - Dresses and Rings

So what with the wedding madness in the air (I know of at least 4 engaged couples close to my age), I thought I'd post some of my own personal girly fantasies on the materialistic side of weddings.

Back when I was younger I realized I wasn't normal when it came to what I wanted in a wedding. I think I realized this mostly back in early yw years when we had our leaders/other ward members show us their wedding dresses. Now I mean NO offense by this, but I just wasn't impressed. While all the other girls where gaga over the dresses, etc, I never liked ANY of them. To me they looked the same, and not only the same, but boring and not any more special then any other dress I'd seen.

See I always felt the wedding dress should be beautiful, breath taking, and different from other dresses. It should be a heavenly dress, a dress which is highly unique, perhaps even highly simple or highly intricate. It should be stunning, other worldy and yet down to earth at the same time. To me it would be angelic even. But even to this day I have yet to see anything awe inspiring, as a girl I've looked at many dresses and dress catalogs and yet none ever strike me.

Other girls have always liked all these different wedding dresses, and yet none of them (as bryce would say :P) speak me.

Then we go onto the rings. I've never been a fan of your typical wedding ring. Every girl I see has your typical wedding ring, I've always thought it boring. Pretty, even beautiful in their own way, yet just boring. Fortunately I HAVE found many amazing and unique rings in my girly searches, but the majority of them do not speak 'normal wedding ring'.

I've always felt like my dress, and my ring should be unique. Unique like me, unique like every woman is. It should reflect me as a person, and unfortunately most 'normal' wedding things are anything but me.

I guess I'm just weird like that, and again I mean no offense to everyones wedding rings and dresses. They REALLY are beautiful and wonderful in their own way, it's just not mine. None of them "speak Emberlee".

P.S. However, I realize i probably will never find a dress that will satisfy me, and most the rings I like i'll never afford. Hmmm knowing me I'll end up in a shot gun wedding, have some random ring and a temple provided dress. Being married and HAPPILY married are the only really important things anyways.

1 comment:

Bryce said...

I loved this, Emberlee! It's true - everyone is unique in their own way, and certain things "speak" certain people. ;) (Thanks for the shout out, by the way.) I think it's perfectly normal to have girish fantasies (normal for a girl, that is *cough*) and every girl has them; so a pat on the back to you for sharing. :)